Acute Care Coding

March 17, 2016

I discharged a patient from an acute care hospital today and admitted them to inpatient rehab on the same date.  Can I report the initial hospital care code for the admission to acute care?

No.  If you are discharging a patient from the acute care hospital, report 99238 or 99239 (based on time), and report a subsequent hospital care code 99231-99233) for the admission to inpatient rehab.  If you see the patient in the rehab hospital the day after discharge, report an initial hospital care code (99221-99223).

*This response is based on the best information available as of 03/17/16.

Sign up for KZAlertsSign up for KZAlerts

Coding Coaches