Can Physical Therapy Services Be Reported Incident-To a Physician Assistant?

August 27, 2015

I am a Physician Assistant and I have a question about code 97110 and reporting services to Medicare. Can I report CPT code 97110 to Medicare under my name and NPI if I evaluate and develop a rehabilitation plan of care for a patient and the medical assistant in our office performs the exercises and documentation?

No, Medicare does not recognize a medical assistant as a qualified therapy provider; any services performed by the medical assistant are not reportable to Medicare by yourself, the PA. Additionally, Medicare has specific rules addressing who may provide and when Incident-To services may be reported.

*This response is based on the best information available as of 08/27/15.

Sign up for KZAlertsSign up for KZAlerts

Coding Coaches