*agenda subject to change
8:00AM – 8:30AM
New 2023 CPT Codes in General Surgery New!
- All New Hernia Codes!
- New mesh placement and removal codes for hernias, other abdominal reconstruction, and a delayed closure code!
- New Bariatric Codes!
8:30AM – 9:15AM
Global Surgical Package and Modifiers in General Surgery
- Global Surgical Package
- What’s included in the global package, and what can be separately reported?
- Using RVUs as a compensation metric: What you need to know.
- Surgeon Role Modifiers
- Co-surgery vs. assistant: Are you reporting these correctly?
- Same-Day Procedure Modifiers
- Modifier 22: What justifies modifier 22? and how to increase your chances of payment
- Modifier 50: Which procedures accept a bilateral modifier?
- Modifiers 51 vs. 59, 52 and 53.
- Modifiers for Additional Procedures Performed During the Global Surgical Period
- Modifier 58: Documenting staged procedures: Do they always need to be preplanned? What about repeating a resection after pathology shows more margins?
- Modifier 79: What defines an unrelated procedure? Is a different diagnosis essential?
- Modifier 78: Does this apply to in-office procedures? How do I report in-office treatment of postoperative complications?
9:15AM – 9:30AM
Surgical Approaches and Operative Note Documentation
- What’s included and what is not included in General Surgery
- Surgical Approaches and Code Selection – Does it Matter?
- Coding for Robotic Assistance
- Operative Report Dictation Tips
9:30AM — 9:45PM
9:45AM — 12:00PM
- Hernia Surgery: NEW in 2023!
- Open/laparoscopic hernia repair
- Reporting another procedure with hernias codes
- Reporting mesh placement: NEW in 2023!
- Reporting mesh removal: NEW in 2023!
- Hiatal/paraesophageal hernias: Type 1, 2, 3, 4
- Abdominal Reconstruction/Component Separation
- Myocutaneous flaps vs. Rives Stoppa
- Bariatric Surgery
- Open vs Laparoscopic vs Endoscopic
- Coverage and Bundling
- Bariatric Surgery and Paraesophageal Hernia Repair: When Can Both Be Billed?
- Endoscopy Overview
- Moderate sedation: are you documenting enough?
- General concepts in endoscopy coding; completion endoscopy – billable or not?
- Colonoscopy: sigmoidoscopy vs. colonoscopy: How far is far enough?
- Colorectal Surgery
- What’s the difference between colostomy and coloproctostomy? A sigmoid colectomy and a low pelvic anastomosis?
- Total and subtotal colectomy; Is there a difference?
- Stoma creation, revision, and closure
- Small bowel resection
12:00PM — 1:00PM
1:00PM — 2:30PM
- Gallbladder Surgery
- Cholecystectomy. Open vs laparoscopic?
- When can a cholangiogram be separately reported?
- Liver Surgery
- Liver biopsy: percutaneous vs open
- Liver resection coding
- Endocrine Surgery
2:30PM — 2:45PM
- Appendix Surgery
- Breast Procedures
- Breast biopsy: percutaneous, incisional, and excisional
- Mastectomy coding: lumpectomy, simple and radical mastectomies
- Reporting closures and local advancement flaps
- Can placement of a marker in a lumpectomy cavity be reported?
- Sentinel node mapping and excision
- Lymph node dissection: How does this change coding?
- Intra-Abdominal Lesion Resection
- What can be separately reported?
- Coding HIPEC and getting paid